About Me

Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Saturday Morning (Running with a Wolf)


Over the last year, the Saturday early-morning runs with Jason Balko have been a real test for my motivation to train and improve. It has been hard to explain to anyone, including myself at times, why I opt for getting up at 4 am and having gels and S-caps for breakfast. But with both of us having dynamic family lives, this is often the only way to squeeze in a long run.

In some perverse way, I have actually come to enjoy these runs quite a bit. Today was a great example. Jason let me sleep in (I think he averages 3-4 hours of sleep per night), and we took the ‘late and more relaxed’ 6 am start at Coopers Rock. As usual, I was half-asleep for the first few miles, but then started to feel really good. Our paces were well-synchronized, the trails were dryer than they have been in a long time, and the greening-up forest felt like home. 

I am really glad you didn’t have to go pour cement this morning, Jason!

 Jason (left) and I, happy to have finished the 2011 Frozen Sasquatch 50k.

No comments:

Post a Comment